26 December 2007

Dinner tonight

I finally made one of the Olive Garden recipes that I blogged about when I first started. I made Penne Romana and it was a hit. I used white grape juice in place of the wine, halved the amount of olive oil it called for, and used a frozen stir fry mix for the veggies (nuked until just hot enough and added at the end). Oh, and I used some Christmas-themed shaped pasta that someone gave us. More than was called for, but I still felt there was plenty of sauce.

Well, I guess I kinda made the recipe! That's the way I usually cook, though, with plenty of substitutions! It was a nice meatless change after Rouladen for Christmas Eve and pot roast for Christmas. Elizabeth not only snubbed the veggies, but the green pasta as well. Sigh. At least she loves fruit. She had an apple with hers.

3 comments:

Christie said...

Oh, and I figured out why no one loved me enough to comment lately! I'd switched to "moderate comments" but didn't give an email address to be notified when there were comments waiting!

Katie said...

I swear I have been commenting!

I really want to try this - I am glad to hear the wine substitution worked well. I tend avoid wine recipes just because I am scared of trying to substitute, and those of some of the yummiest sounding recipes.....

Heather said...

okay you are better than me as I leave teh wine as all of the alcohol cooks out...I will have to check out the website...btw we have now offically been of the mission for a decade wow time flies