03 April 2008

Guess James and I are lucky we're both the oldest

New research from Brigham Young University shows that first-born children get about 3,000 more hours of quality time with their parents between ages 4 and 13 than the next sibling gets when they pass through the same age range.

Click to read the rest of the article

Of course James' next sibling passed through that age range less than 11 months behind him, and my next sibling less than 17 months behind me. I wonder how (if) spacing influences things.

I think one of the most interesting parts is the ending.

The research also shows that the youngest child gets roughly the same amount of quality time whether the family is large or small. Price found that parents of large families devote more overall quality time to their children, so the youngest of four siblings ends up with as much quality time as the younger of two siblings.

No comments: